Saturday, January 23, 2010

Lines, lines, lines
"Mommy stop saying those lions!!" daughter Alice age 2,
Candida Peterborough Players, 1987

Written to Kate Manfredi:

Fred Melamed

Fred Melamed Sorry to have been out of touch. I'm on vacation with my family in Florida. Here's how I learn lines. I read the entire scene through 5 or 6 times, without trying to memorize any thing. Then, I use a piece of cardboard and read 1 line at a time, learning each of my lines as I go. If there is a trouble spot, I make... up a mnemonic bridge using a mental image to help. Example: if the line I'm having trouble with is "Cut that out!", and the preceeding lines is "I hate you.", I imagine a knife cutting into me from the hurt of "I hate you". Also, to the extent possible, I try to learn the lines so well that I can reel them off without emotion. That way, I am not tied to any particular reading in my memorization. Hope this helps.
Love,
Fred

Diana Van Fossen
Diana Van Fossen
Yes. Thank you. I have been going in this way. Reading all monologues out loud. Then scenes then whole acts over and over -- sometimes doing all the roles. Then the whole play which is hard to do alone lemme tell you. I use a music stand so I can stay on my feet. I have never had such a major role. But since this is what I trained for all these years, I am hungry for the challenge!! From the Trenches - in preparation for ''Lettice and Lovage." All in honor of Dame Maggie.

No comments: